Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Lure

So Molly loves to spend time outside and loves to dilly dally, especially in the morning when I gotta go somewhere (sometimes I do go to the office!!). Because I am typically in work shoes (in the morning) or in bare feet if I'm just hanging around the house, I rarely want to trek through the "present"-filled yard. So I have tried many different ways to get her to come inside. Calling her name doesn't work. Even when she doesn't have an ear infection. I've tried shaking her food bowl. Nope. I've tried opening the garage door (she loves to get in the car. . . most of the time I have to drag her out, but she still hasn't caught on). Because of her digestive issues we had to pitch all of the dog treats months ago. Tried squeaking toys. But she's more interested in barking her boyfriend two yards over or smelling rabbit doo doo. So that's what led me to . . . . Rice Chex. Now in most households feed a dog human food would not be that unusual, however, Ry and I have taken much pride in the fact that our dogs do.not.eat human food.
In an attempt to add a little variety to my husband's (still weird to say) cereal selection, I bought him Rice Chex (he's a healthy eater). About a month ago he told me, "you know, I really don't like Rice Chex. I am not ever going to eat that box". But seeing as I don't really eat cereal, I didn't actually do anything about the 3/4 full box on the shelf. I just let it sit. Until one day, none of my tricks were working. I tried them ALL . . to no avail. So I decided that it would be harmless to shake the cereal box. Somehow Molly is very interested in people food (she couldn't have picked that up at her cousin's house, hmmm?) even though WE've never fed her anything. Well of course shaking the box was enough for her little ears to perk up and her to make a mad dash to the door. So I'd get her in and shut the door without giving her anything. (I didn't actually show her the cereal and she's never eaten a box (only books, remember?), so I didn't think she'd be that disappointed . . . . and don't dogs have a really short memory span??). Well unfortunately she's not that dumb. She caught on pretty fast. Soon I had to show her the cereal to get her to come in. And then I just felt plain old guilty when I put it back in the box. So one day, I gave her (and Franklin) a little taste. I figured since it was such a plain cereal, a few bits wasn't going to harm their digestive systems. Well this morning, I decided that I would actually try a bit of it while I was waiting for her (we've got over half a box left). . . . needless to say father time has not been kind to the cereal and there is no way that Ryan will ever want to try another bowl of it now. They still think it is amazingly scrumptious . . . so let's hope Ry never decides to clean out the pantry . . he still doesn't know our little secret. ;)

No comments: